- EDCD is an equal opportunity agency.
We accept applications from persons of any racial and ethnic
background, marital status, religious affiliation and geographical
- 1. You
must be willing and able to travel to a major city in Texas,
Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, or New Mexico. (This would most
likely be Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Tulsa, Oklahoma
City, Kansas City, St. Louis or Little Rock.) The first time
would be for 1 day, for medical and psychological evaluation.
The second time would be for 1 day, for a repeat medical exam
just before retrieval, and the third time would be for approximately
4-5 days, for egg retrieval. The rest of the time, you
could be monitored locally, right where you live, by a reproductive
endocrinologist. All travel expenses are paid for by the recipient
couple that selects you.
2. You must be between 18-29 years old.
3. You must NOT be adopted. (If you are adopted, and have
full medical records of both your biological parents, you application
will be reviewed for acceptance.)
4. You must NOT be a smoker. (Your nicotine levels will
- You must NEVER smoke ANYTHING: cigarettes,
cigars or anything else. Even with one puff, the eggs will be
severely hurt for over 60 days. A donor, who would otherwise
make 20 good eggs, will make only 6, and they will be of such
poor quality that they won't fertilize. This "bad"
medical record will follow you and no one will ever pick you as a donor again!! It is just unbelievable, but nicotine really
does that much damage!! If you can't quit, don't waste
someone else's time and money, don't apply.
- 5. You
must not be more than 30 lbs. over your ideal weight.
6. You must be in good health.
7. Your SAT
score must be 1100 or higher or
your ACT score must
be 24 or higher BEFORE MARCH 2005.
AFTER MARCH 2005, your scores of Math and Critical Reading (previously called Verbal) will need to total 1100 or higher. We do not need the total of all 3 sections
in the new test. We only need the total of math and critical
reading. (Very important, must provide
OFFICIAL DOCUMENTATION. If
you did not take the SAT or ACT, we need your college G.P.A., grade point average.) OFFICIAL, written documentation of your scores from your
school registrar is required. (You
can also easily get a copy of your scores from this address:
) If you did not take either test, you must enclose an OFFICIAL
copy of your college transcript, with a GPA (grade point average)
of at least 3.0
on a 4.0 scale. If you are on a 5.0 scale, you must have at
least a 3.75.
8. You must be willing to avoid alcohol and caffeine during
9. You must not use recreational drugs such as marijuana,
cocaine, amphetamines or "downers". (You will be drug
tested.) If you use recreational drugs, don't waste someone
else's time and money, don't apply.
10. You must not use intravenous drugs now, or at any time
in the past.
11. You must be willing to undergo medical and psychological
screening. (This includes an HIV test and perhaps an I.Q. test.)
12. You must be willing to take daily injections (using
tiny insulin needles), have frequent blood tests, sonograms and
be available to go to a designated office for morning appointments
at designated times.
13. If you have a fear of needles or of having blood drawn,
egg donation is NOT for you!
14. You must be willing to give "Informed Consent"
for the oocyte procedure, IV sedation and medication (such as
antibiotics), and perhaps a foley catheter.
15. You must not have a sexually transmitted disease including
but not limited to gonorrhea, syphilis, genital herpes, vaginal
warts, Chlamydia or HIV. FDA regulations
- require that it must be at least 12 months
from the time you were treated and cleared from a Chlamydia infection
until your actual donation cycle.
- (It does not need to be 12 months until
you apply to be a donor.)
16. You must not have had any sexual contact with homosexual
or bisexual men at this time, or at any time in the past.
17. You must be willing to abstain from sexual intercourse
for a period of approximately 2-3 weeks during treatment.
18. You must be willing to refrain from exercise for 2-4
weeks, perhaps up to 8 weeks, depending on your physician's directions.
- 19. You
must be willing to take birth control pills for approximately
4-6-8 weeks before the stimulation begins.
20. It is acceptable to be on birth control pills at this
time; however, you may NOT use birth control pills
during the actual stimulation period, and must be willing
to prevent pregnancy with another method (i.e. condoms, sponge,
vaginal creams) on the cycle PRIOR to stimulation.
21. You must not currently have a Norplant birth control
22. You must not have had a Norplant device removed within
the last twelve months.
23. You must not have taken Depo birth control injections
within the last nine months.
24. You must not have had a tattoo, body piercing or Chlamydia
infection within the previous 12 months of undergoing a donation
cycle. If you ALREADY HAVE a tattoo or body piercing, that is
fine. You just need to make sure that it will be at least 12
months from the time you got your tattoo or body piercing, or
from being treated and cleared from a Chlamydia infection until
your actual donation cycle. (It does not need to be 12 months
until you apply to be a donor.)
25. You must have your own transportation.
26. You must have early mornings available for doctor
appointments for about two weeks.
27. You MUST be responsible and very dependable.
28. You MUST be able to make all of your doctor appointments.
This is critical!
- 29. If
you don't already have one, please try to get a credit card for
- 30. It
serves you well to be extremely
polite to the nursing staff and to be on-time for your appointments. If the nurses are disappointed in your behavior
(if they perceive you as being demanding, irresponsible or irritable),
this bad report will be in your medical record. It will follow you wherever you
go and future professionals will refuse to work with you!